Archive

Jobson raffle on the road

GENEROSITY: Damian Jobson, his wife Brooke and their sons Zayb and Kynan, with Ron Warden, whose business has donated a motorhome and set up a charity raffle to help the family. Picture: Simone De Peak WHEN Bennetts Green businessman Ron Warden heard about the rugby league accident that leftDamian Jobson a quadriplegic, itfelt close to home.
Nanjing Night Net

“My son, Cal [Callan], played with him,” Mr Warden said.

Mr Jobson fractured vertebrae in his neck while playing for the Windale Eagles in May 2016. Soon afterthe accident, Mr Warden, the ownerof Australian Motor Homes and Caravans, decided to get a major fundraiser moving. His business donated a motorhome worth about $152,000. Harvey Norman and Cruise Travel Centrealso donatedprizes.

RonWardenfigured the motorhome, as first prize, could be quickly raffled to raise some much needed money fortheJobsonfamily.Almost twelve months sincethatdonation, tickets for the charity lotterywerefinally available, asMr Warden hadbeen on a long journey through delays and bureaucracy.

“It’s been a steep learning curve,” said Mr Warden.

The business owner said first he had to set up a charity, Rise for Damian.Then he applied for an art union permit, with a string of phone calls and emails to Liquor and Gaming NSW.

“I can understand why they need to do it, but it becomes frustrating,” Mr Warden said.

A spokesman for Liquor & Gaming NSW said it received an application for the art union permit on March 13.Notall the required information was provided,and staff liaisedwith the applicant for about 11 weeks.When the information was received, the permit was issued on the next business day, May 29.

“As art unions involve large prizes …Liquor & Gaming NSW needs to undertake detailed assessments to ensure the integrity of the competition for all stakeholders including entrants and the relevant charity,” he said.

Mr Warden was pleased to receive the permit, because, “at the end of the day, I just want to sell some tickets”.

To Damian and BrookeJobson and their two young sons, the charity raffle could be “a life-changing thing”.

“It’s going to set the family up,” Mr Jobson said.

“Bills don’t stop, they keep rolling in.”

“We’ve got money for now, but it’s into the future,” said Brooke Jobson, explaining just about everything in their lives had to be modified or replaced, and facilities to help her husband wouldneed to be updated. All the while, “we want to let the kids have a normal lifestyle”.

Mr Warden said the tickets were$50 each –“but it’s a bloody good prize!” –and the raffle wasto be drawn during The Footy Show on September 21.

Mr Jobson said the community support “means the world to me”, with his wife adding that without it, “he would have given up long ago.”

Ticketsinformation:www.risefordamian南京夜网.au

Read More

Two Australian citizens wrongly sent to immigration detention

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton with his department secretary Michael Pezzullo in Parliament House last month. Photo: Alex EllinghausenImmigration Minister Peter Dutton wrongly sent two Australian citizens to immigration detention, including one who was taken to Christmas Island,his department has confirmed.
Nanjing Night Net

The two Australians, one of whom was originally a New Zealander, were taken to immigration detention following their release from prison after committing serious crimes.

One was taken to Christmas Island, while the other was detained onshore, the Immigration Department confirmed. It would not provide further information about the date, length or circumstances of their detention, or the second individual’s other nationality.

“Two individuals were detained after their visas were cancelled mandatorily under section 501 of the Migration Act 1958,” a department spokesman told Fairfax Media on Tuesday night.

“After it was identified that each individual held dual Australian citizenship, arrangements were immediately made for their release from immigration detention.

“The circumstances surrounding their detention have been reviewed and appropriate safeguards have been implemented.”

Under section 501 of the Migration Act, Mr Dutton must cancel a non-citizen’s visa if they are serving a full-time jail term of more than 12 months for an offence committed in Australia, or if they have been found guilty of a sexually-based crime involving a child.

It is understood the two cases were not related. It is possible they did not know, or did not recall, that they were Australiancitizens at the time of their imprisonment in immigration detention, and internal systems failed to detect their citizenship status.

The case hastinges of the wrongful imprisonment of Cornelia Rau and Vivian Solon. Ms Solon, also an Australian citizen, was wrongly deported to the Philippines in 2001 because immigration officials believed she was an illegal immigrant. She was later compensated to the tune of $4.5 million.

George Newhouse, the principal lawyer in both those cases, told Fairfax Media this latest error was “the natural consequence of a power grab by a minister who does not want to be held accountable to anyone, and in particular the judges and tribunals”.

“This is what happens when you remove all judicial oversight from the executive government,” Mr Newhouse said.

“It appears that the minister is up to his neck in this debacle and he needs to take personal responsibility for his decision to falsely imprison two Australian citizens.”

“The minister had stated quite publicly he does not want to be constrained by judicial interference and false imprisonment is a direct result.”

Read More

Spitting chips: potato giant accused of ‘wage theft’

‘Things could get a lot harder for people like me and my workmates’: Kay Rault outside the Fair Work Commission in Sydney Photo: Christopher PearceAustralia’s biggest potato grower is leadinga national push to pay employees like Kay Raultwhoworkin packing and storage shedslocated off farm sitesthe same rates as lower-paid farm workers.
Nanjing Night Net

In Sydney to give evidence to theFair Work Commission hearing of MitoloGroup’s applicationto have the Horticulture Awardextendedto store workers who handle fresh produce, Ms Raultwho grades potatoes and onions at Mitolo’sSouth Australian facility said it was hard to make ends meet onher wages.

“If this change gets through, things could get a lot harder for people like me and my workmates,” she said.

“Why should big companies be able to change the law just because it suits them?”

MsRault’s employer, MitoloGroup, a major supermarket supplier, is amongcompanies backed by the Australian Industry Group which is putting their case to the Fair Work Commission.

As a member of the National Union of Workers which opposesthe industry push to extend the Horticulture Award to include workersin packing and storage sheds located away fromfarms,MsRaultsaid:”Just becauseMitoloowns farms, doesn’t mean thatMitoloonly employs farm workers”.

Potatoes. Photo: Wolter Peeters

The NUWsays theStorage Services Award, which pays higher rates than the Horticulture Award, should applyto workers in storage facilities locatedoutside the farm gate.

The Australian Industry Group says imposition of the Storage Services Award for off-site packing and storage workers”would impose crippling cost increases” on businesses in the horticulture industry.

“The fact that the NUW may be able to identify a couple of businesses that have decided to apply the award in response to NUW claims, does not alter the fact that the Horticulture Award is the one that is applied very widely throughout the Horticulture Industry,” the AIG says.

The AIGarguesthat activities outside the “farm gate” do not literally refer to a physical location or “gate”. It saysthe termrelatesto workcarried out by the producer up to the first point of sale from the producer to its customers.

“The concept has no relevance to the location of work,” it says.

NUWsecretary Tim Kennedy said the Mitolo application to extend the Horticulture Award to workers outside the farm gate could see up to 8 per cent cut frompay packets andthe loss of other entitlements.

“Store workers handling fresh produce would continue to do the same work, every day of the week, except they would be paid less. It’s just wage theft. A worker on level 1 could lose more than $60 a week,” he said.

“Under the Horticulture Award, employers currently do not pay casual workers anything extra for overtime or weekend work. So while the union movement is campaigning hard to protect penalty rates for workers across Australia, these big employers are quietly trying to take away penalty rates from potentially thousands of casual store workers.

“Under the Horticulture Award, employers regularly require workers to work for piece rates. This means people being paid for each piece of fruit they pick. Often piece rate workers cannot even earn the legal minimum wage in this country. This problem needs to be fixed, not expanded.”

Mitolo declined to comment until the Fair Work Commission has decided the matter.

Read More

Wedgetail upgrade next step in JSF project

Advanced equipment: A E-7A Wedgetail airborne command and control aircraft lands at RAAF Base Williamtown during Exercise Dawn Strike. Picture: CPL Nicci FreemanAn upgrade to the E-7A Wedgetail announced at Williamtown RAAF-base on Wednesdaywill enable the tactical control aircraft to ‘speak’ to the F-35A Joint Striker Fighter when it arrives in 2018.
Nanjing Night Net

Boeing Australia vice president and managing director Darren Edwards said the 5A upgrade it will be responsible forwould enhance the Wedgetail’s already impressive capabilities.

The upgrade worth up to$240 million will create 120 jobs in Brisbane and a further 45 jobs between RAAF bases Amberly and Williamtown.

“The aircraft behind me is a missions critical piece of kit and it has proven itself time and time again, as the most advanced air battle management system in the world today,” he said.

“The first major upgrade that has been announced today provides critical ‘inter-operable’ capabilities with the allies on operations and with fifth generation aircraft including the JSF.”

Defence Industry Minister Christopher Pyne was able to see first hand the Wedgetail’s capabilities, aboard the converted Boeing 737-700,before he touched down to make the announcement.

“Today is another really important milestone in the government’s commitment to the largest buildup of our military capabilityin our peace time history,” he said.

“The Wedgetail is one of the most important platforms in the Airforce and,therefore, our Defence Forces,” he said.

“As you would know it is in action right now in the Middle East, Syria and Iraq providing absolutely vital battleground information with radar and other information provided to our Hornets, and other countries of course with whom we are operable, so we can defeat the Daesh or ISIS or ISIL -what ever you like too call them.”

From the hangar, Mr Pyne traveled a short distance across the base to open the Off Board Information Systems Centre (OBISC) that will support the F35-A, two of which will arrive at the end of 2018.

The facility is designed to process the flight tapes from the F35-A before the are returned to the plan for the next mission.

“The centre is an Australian-unique capability that hosts ground-based, off-board, F35A Autonomic Logistics Information Systems (ALIS),” Mr Pyne said.

“The ALIS is the logistic nerve centre for the Joint Strike Fighter. It is used to support mission planning, manage air and ground crew training, manage day to day maintenance activities and to provide logistical support to the aircraft and associated systems.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read More

‘Someone knows what happened to my girl’

Tracey Valesini. Picture: NSW PoliceA PORT Stephens mother has joined police in pleading for information to help find her daughter on what would have been her 45thbirthday.
Nanjing Night Net

The state government announced on Wednesday a $100,000 reward was on offer to help find Tracey Valesini.

The occasion led Ms Valesini’smother Sandra McSavaney to join Homicide Squad detectives in Sydney to appeal to the conscience of anyone with knowledge of her daughter’s fate.

“Someone knows what happened to my girl, and enough is enough – please tell the police what you know and help put my mind at ease,” Ms McSavaney said.

“No one should ever have to bury a child, but I haven’t even been given that opportunity.

“If anything, I want to be able to bring her home and say proper goodbyes – the least Tracey deserves is to rest in peace.

“We’ve had too many birthdays and too many Christmases without Tracey, and I am pleading for someone to come forward so that today – her 45th birthday – is our last without answers,” Ms McSavaney said.

Fairfax Media reported in 2015 that Ms McSavaney, who suffers from terminal lung cancer, had also lost another daughter after she was strangled to death in 2002.

Sandra McSavaney, with her only surviving daughter Sharon Robards (centre) in 2015. She has lost her other daughters Lisa Sara (left) and Tracey Valesini (right). Main photo: Marina Neil

The last confirmed sighting of Ms Valesini was a custody hearing at Campbelltown Courthouse in January 1993. She was 20 years old, and failed to appear for a further hearing on February 12.

Unsolved Homicide team co-ordinatorDetective Inspector Stewart Leggatsaid Tracey was a resilient, independent young woman.

“Unfortunately, these strengths have made investigating her disappearance difficult for police,” he said.

“By all accounts, Tracey was very much in charge of her own life, even at a young age, and by her late teens, she would often go for long periods without visiting her family.

“That said, it was out of character for her to no-show at court for the custody hearing as her daughters were her world.”

Her family have made numerous fruitless attempts to contact Ms Valesini in the intervening 24years but her housemates had left their Sadleir home without a forwarding address.

Detective Inspector Leggat said police had gleaned that Ms Valesini moved to Wentworth Falls with a new boyfriend, his sister and her partner until 1993.

Police have since been told Ms Valesini moved out of that property before the other three left in May that year when the relationship deteriorated.

But that is where the trail ends.

“She hadn’t accessed her bank accounts or government benefits since December 1992, with the exception of a single deposit and withdrawal more than 12 months later,”Detective Inspector Leggat said.

Strike Force Sonning was established in 2001 to reinvestigate the disappearance.

Police searched Tracy’s former home in Wentworth Falls that year, finding blood believed to be hers.

A coronial inquest was held in 2006, with a finding that she died some time in 1992 or 1993 “of injuries inflicted upon her by another person.”

NSW police ministerTroy Grant said the government’s $100,000 reward offer would assist investigators.

“No family should endure not knowing what happened to their loved one, and the NSW Government is committed to providing police with what they need to find answers for families like Tracey’s,” Mr Grant said.

Police are urging anyone with information that may assist Strike Force Sonning investigators to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page:https://nsw.crimestoppers南京夜网.au/

Read More