Archive

Dutchy’s cancer decline rocks family, friends

Dutchy’s cancer decline rocks family, friends CONCERN: Carolyn Holland, far right, looks on as her husband talks to Lord’s Taverners Hunter branch chairman John McLaughlin, left, at Tuesday’s ceremony at Lambton Tea House. Picture: Simone De Peak
Nanjing Night Net

Dutchy Holland celebrating his first Test wicket with wicketkeeper Wayne Phillips.

HAPPIER TIMES: Carolyn gives Robert a congratulatory kiss after he was named in the 1985 Ashes touring squad, two days after NSW won the Sheffield Shield final.

LOYAL SERVANT: Robert Holland batting for the Hunter Lord’s Taverners against a Central Coast side in 2011 at Awaba Oval. Picture: Ryan Osland

Celebrating a wicket for NSW against WA.

Holland dismisses Indian great Sunil Gavaskar caught and bowled while playing for Northern at No.1 Sportsground in 1978.

Holland with Murray Bennett in 1985.

TweetFacebookNewcastle Herald on Tuesday that he had deteriorated significantly since then.

“Totally shocked. We can’t believe that we’re in this position,well, he’s in this position. A healthy, fit man now just not there,” Carolyn said after Holland was presented with life membership by the Hunter branch of The Lord’s Taverners Australia at a ceremony inLambton.

The 70-year-old former Australian and NSW leg-spinner appeared frail at the function and had difficulty talking. He did not make a speech.

Carolyn hasbeen married to Holland for 47 years, and her husband’shealth struggles areclearly taking a heavy emotional toll.

Holland, who suffered a seizure 10 days after his surgery, has had radiation treatment and chemotherapy, but Carolyn said theprognosis was “not good”.

“They removed 70 to 80 per cent of the tumour and basically they’re just trying to keep it at bay. The last MRI showed that that was happening.

“But I spoke to the nurse, because I thought, ‘I need to know.’ She said 15 months is the most you could hope for.

“They can’t remove the rest of the tumour. It would affect his cognitive health even more. They took as much as they possibly could.

“The prognosis is not good. Just the deterioration in the last couple of days. He’s really struggling.I think people would be quite shocked to see him now.”

Carolyn is also dealing with an impending court case after she and Holland were attacked at Awaba Oval in August last year.

The alleged assailants are due in court this month to set a trial date.

“It’s the least of my worries now,” Carolyn said.

“Obviously Robert won’t be able to be a witness. They’ll just take his statement. I’ll be a witness.

“It’s all pretty awful.”

Holland made his Test debut in 1984 at the age of 38and famously spunAustralia to victory with 10 wickets against the West Indies at the SCG in early 1985.

He played in that year’s Ashes series in England and took another 10-wicket haul against New Zealand in Adelaide.He appeared in 11 Tests in all, taking 34 wickets, and in 95 first-class matches, most of them for the Blues, and was still playing state cricket into his forties.

HAPPIER TIMES: Carolyn gives Robert a congratulatory kiss after he was named in the 1985 Ashes touring squad, two days after NSW won the Sheffield Shield final.

Friends and teammates at Tuesday’s ceremony paid tribute to a player “without ego” and a genuine gentleman of the game.

FormerTest opener Rick McCosker, who travelled down the highway to Sydney with Holland twice a week for NSW training, said his friend was popular throughout the cricketing world.

“Especially the NSWguys he played with for a lot of years. They all respected him, called him ‘Grandpop’,” McCosker said.

“They’ll obviously be very sad. They’ve always respected him, not just the guys he played with but the guys he played against, whether it was for the Australian team or the NSW team.

“They’ll be shocked, actually. You always think that we’re pretty indestructible. You’ve gone through all things in your life and you’ve got to that top echelon so nothing’s going to stop you from keeping on living and beating these kind of things.

“But obviously there’s some things in this life that we can’t beat. It appears we have to accept the fact that there might be some things we can’t overcome nomatter how hard we try.

“I think from the wider community it’s important that he, Carolyn and the family realise there’s tremendous respect and support out there.There’s always hope, but you just never know. Some things are a bit out of our control.

“There’ll be a lot of guys around Australia and overseas who’ll be thinking about him and praying that something will happen, that he’ll get back to where he was and still be able to roll his arm over and hit the occasional one off the square.”

Holland last played for the Lord’s Taverners, a cricketing charity organisation, early last year.

The Southern Lakes life member and former president was awarded an Order of Australia Medal in January after decades of service to the sport as a player, coach and administrator.

“He’s already got a wonderful legacy of what he’s done. Nothing can take that away,” McCosker said.

The Herald, Newcastle

Read More

Plane note accused in court

Mitchell Cameron Moy, 30, outside the Albury court precinct on Tuesday following an incident on a Border-bound plane in June. He has not entered a plea.THE CASE against a Sydney man who allegedly left a threatening note in a plane toilet may move to a higher court.
Nanjing Night Net

Mitchell Cameron Moy, 30, appeared in Albury Local Court on Monday after being arrested at the city’s airport on June 6.

Those on board Virgin flight VA1174 evacuated the aircraft after the plane touched down.

Moy has been charged with sending a document threatening to kill or inflict bodily harm on passengers and staff on the plane.

The Harrington Park man has also been charged with giving false information leading airline staffand passengers to fear for their safety.

Plane note accused in court CHARGED: Mitchell Cameron Moy, 30, outside the Albury court precinct on Tuesday following an incident on a Border-bound plane in June. He has not entered a plea.

CHARGED: Mitchell Cameron Moy, 30, outside the Albury court precinct on Tuesday following an incident on a Border-bound plane in June. He has not entered a plea.

INCIDENT: The Albury Airport on June 6

INCIDENT: The Albury Airport on June 6

INCIDENT: The Albury Airport on June 6

INCIDENT: The Albury Airport on June 6

INCIDENT: The Albury Airport on June 6

INCIDENT: The Albury Airport on June 6

INCIDENT: The Albury Airport on June 6

INCIDENT: The Albury Airport on June 6

INCIDENT: The Albury Airport on June 6

TweetFacebook Man appears in court over plane evacuationThe court heard prosecutors will assess whether the matter moves to the higher court.

Moy has been excused from his next hearing on July 17 if he is legally represented.

He has not entered a plea.

The court heard Moy lives in Sydney but works in Victoria.

He has been banned from attending airports or leaving NSW as part of his bail conditions.

The Border Mail

Read More

Relocating race circuit a victory for everyone

IN THE ZONE: Concerns have been raised about the health impact of noise levels on city residents living near the Newcastle 500 Supercars circuit.
Nanjing Night Net

Is it OK that 150,000 people are to be exposed to noise levels greater than the SafeWork NSW exposure standard of 85 dBA over eight hours, or its equivalent, over the duration of the Newcastle 500 Supercars motor races?

More than 70 concerned doctors have warned of the significant health effects to people and the health costs likely to occur due to the conduct of the motor races. People in the race zone come from across our community. Many live and work along the length of the circuit.

The choice of the East End of Newcastle for a motor sports event is unprecedented. Historic terraces, aged-care facilities, community housing, residences, and businesses line about 50 per cent of the racing circuit.

Most are within a couple of blocks of the circuit, and more than 135 homes and businesses are less than 5 metres from it.

In a breath-taking range of provisions,the EPA Act that controls environmental pollution and noise is over-ruled by the Motor Racing Act 2008. This means that a business (Supercars Australia), is able to breach the provisions of the EPA Act that are designed to protect people, communities, and businesses against noise levels that are unacceptable for 365 days a year under all other jurisdictions.

Not only is the EPA Act sidelined, but other standard planning procedures have been ignored. The normal process for such an event to proceed in a city requires a Development Application (DA) be submitted to council. A range of required checks and balances are enacted and tested for the DA to be approved, modified, or rejected.

Interestingly, the 2017 Amendment to the Motor Racing Act Sydney/Newcastle 2008 removed the requirement to create an independent authority to manage the event in Newcastle. In Sydney, the Homebush Motor Racing Authority (HMRA) was able to ensure that a thorough independent and authoritative report on the expected noise levels was conducted for that event.

The report used an accepted computer model to predict the noise levels and found that they met the levels set by the Confederation of Motor Racing Australia (CAMS), and also that they did not breach the safe levels set by SafeWork NSW.

However, in Sydney’s case,the nearest residence was more than 300 metres from the track. In Newcastle the reverse is true with many residences and businesses less than 10 metres from the track – the SafeWork NSW safe limits will be breached.

A level of community consultation is required by the Motor Racing Act. Many who have attended information sessions haveraised concerns aboutthe expected noise levels. At the time of writing, no independent authoritative report has been made public and a promised Noise Management Plan has not materialised.

So, what should happen to ensure a great motor racing event occurs that also protects the people and the amenity in the historic East End?

The answer is simple: move the event to a purpose-built racing circuit. There is a suitable one close to Newcastle – Circuit Italia. Circuit Italia has been approved under a standard Development Application and is designed to meet the requirements of CAMS. It is convenient to both Newcastle and the airport.

It would be awin-win for motor sports fans, East End residents, businesses and visitors, Destination NSW and Supercars.

It is not too late.

Dr Alex Spathis is a retired engineer and scientist who lives in Newcastle East.

Read More

Bring me four fried chickens and a Coke

American Made: A double dog from Dear Franks, Skokie, Illinois.Oh say can you see, does that star spangled banner yet wave.
Nanjing Night Net

It is the 4th of July, and the smell of American cooking is wafting through the olafactory organs of this long-time expat.

A hint of American cooking rises in our kitchen, at the Valentine Hilton, on occasion.

It means hot dogs served with tomato sauce, mustard, pickle relish, corn relish and cheese, with a side of potato chips.

It means potato salad made with Hellman’s American mayonnaise, potatoes, eggs, salt, pepper, chivesand finely-chopped celery.

It means tacos where the meat filling is made from scratch.

It means watermelon occasionally sprinkled with salt.

It means cranberry sauce is usually on hand.

It means pumpkin pie on the fourth Thursday in November.

It means Betty Crocker chocolate cakes on birthdays with home-made icing on top.

It means napkins on the table at every meal.

I can’t say we prepare American-style food once in a while because we are patriots; it’s just the way my wife Ann and I were brought up, in the land of the brave and the home of the free.

And it doesn’t extend to everything: we don’t make macaroni and cheese; we don’t serve boiled potatoes, we don’t drink percolated coffee;we don’t eat orange cheese.

Like most Australians, we look at the mass market diet of America with amazement whenever we visit the old country. I can safely say we are well past the novelty factor, but it’s still fun to see how the American half of the world eats out.

It feels like the tide had turned on the American notion that a big serving is a good serving. One of the most interesting dishes we had on the last visit stateside was a “chopped salad” featuring small black beans and small, crispy tortilla strips at Pizano’s on State Street in downtown Chicago.

Pizano’s was known for its pizza – didn’t America invent that, too? – but it wasn’t what we needed for a late meal. The chopped salad, which we shared, was full of finely chopped vegetables, herbs and chicken breast and salami. It went down a treat.

We also ordered a breaded eggplant parmesan sandwich (well, one healthy thing out of three isn’t bad) to go with it, which we also shared. It was topped with mozzarella cheese and marinara sauce, but the serving was small enough to enjoy.

We came across the small tortilla crisps again, at Wolfgang Puck’s Express restaurant in Los Angeles International Airport. They were spread across a tortilla soup, and again proved to be a small, but delicious, component.

We did get caught out by gigantic servings once or twice, most notably at a chic breakfast eatery in downtown Chicago called Eggsperience.

Breakfast anyone: Quesedilla, that comes with hash browns, Eggsperience, Chicago, Illinois.

We avoided the obvious, like caramelised apple pecan pancakes, but were ambushed by a frittata the size of Texas and a quesadilla nearly as big. They were tasty, just huge. And, in case they weren’t big enough, they came with a side of hash browns.

Chicago is a great place to satisfy the itch for an American hot dog. Jim and Tom’s at Bensenville is a hot dog shack that knows its business – and it’s on the way to the city from O’Hare Airport. They know a hot dog is supposed to be a meal, to be savoured, enjoyed, dripped onto your chest, licked off your moustache.

Dear Franks, in the Chicago suburb of Skokie, is another hot dog hang-out. Dear Franks “Double Dog” is perfect. With chips, it takes about three innings of watching a baseball game on the overhead TV to eat a double dog meal. All the dogs at Dear Franks come with mustard, relish, onions, tomatoes, pickles, peppers, sauerkraut and celery salt.

Even a treat has its limits: stay away from the breaded mushrooms, onion rings, mozzarella sticks, seasoned waffle fries, cheddar fries on the side menu.

The temptations were bigger at a novelty burger joint in Castle Rock, Colorado, on the southern outskirts of Denver. Crave Real Burgers is marketing masterpiece, with a wide range of naughty burgers, such as the Luther (bacon, cheddar, egg and onion with two glazed donuts as the bun) and the Wolf (pulled pork, ham, bacon, cheese and onion strings – plus the hamburger). And, fried pickles, as a side dish. The food is delicious, but clearly dangerous in large doses.

If I had one weakness, it would be for the American cinnamon bun, which has never caught on in Australia. Anybody who’s been through a US airport knows the magnetic drawof the Cinnabon outlets, which specialise in the sweet buns. As good as they are, like apple pie, the little guys can make them even better, like the caramel rolls served hot every morning at the Colonial House restaurant in Rapid City, South Dakota, near Mount Rushmore. Doughy, sticky, sweet and moreish to a fault.

But we survive, with Ann mastering the making of caramel slice to fill that sweet-tooth ache, among many other specialties. And we still proudly call Australia home.

Read More

Year of sitting still: RBA keeps cash rate on hold

File photoThe Reserve Bank has kept its cash rate on hold at 1.5 per cent asretail banks push up rates on investor and interest-only loansand push down rates charged to owner-occupiers.
Nanjing Night Net

The Bank’s decision,announced at 2.30 pm eastern time, means the cash rate will stay steady at the record low of 1.5 per cent for the twelfth consecutive month.

On balance, the forecasters taking part in the mid-yearScopeBusinessDaysurvey released on the weekendexpect another full year of steady rates, with the number expecting an increase roughly balancing the number expecting a cut.

Governor Philip Lowe’s statement says while the bank expects the economy to gradually strengthen, growth in consumer spending remains subdued, “reflecting slow growth in real wages and high levels of household debt”.

In an apparent reference to risk of pushing up the dollar should the bank lift interest rates, Dr Lowe said the fall in the dollar since 2013 had helped the economy transition out of the mining investment boom.

“An appreciating exchange rate would complicate this adjustment,” his statement says.

Interest rates were firming worldwide, with further increases in US interest rates expected along with no additional monetary easing in other major economies.

Conditions in the housing market varied considerably around the country.

Housing prices had been “rising briskly in some markets, although there are some signs that these conditions are starting to ease; in some other markets, prices are declining.

“In the eastern capital cities, a considerable additional supply of apartments is scheduled to come on stream over the next couple of years,” Dr Lowe said. “Rent increases are the slowest for two decades.”

Tighter rules imposed by the Prudential Regulation Authority should help address the risks associated with high and rising levels of household debt.

Mortgage rates for investors have been edging higher since September.

On Monday Westpac launched an aggressive push into the residential investment property market by offering a fixed rate below 4 per cent.

Read More